Peace Building & Disaster Risk Reduction Officer
Agency for Cross Border Pastoralists Development (APaD) is a Non-Governmental Organization duly registered under the Non-Governmental Organization Board Registration Number: OP.218/051/18-093/11308 with its head office in Lodwar town, Turkana County.
The organization implements programs in key thematic areas including; Peace Building and Governance Sustainable Livelihoods Development and Animal Welfare; Disaster Risks Reduction and Climate Change Adaptation; Research Advocacy and Policy Influence; Youth Empowerment and Child Protection; Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene; Humanitarian Action and Other Emergencies; Women Empowerment and Gender.
APaD seeks self-motivated, experienced, and committed team players to fill the following position:
Job Title: Peace Building & Disaster Risk Reduction Officer
Supervisor: Executive Director.
Duty station: Lodwar.
Contract Duration: One (1) Year (with a three-month probation period)
Duties and Responsibilities
The Peace Building & DRR Officer will be responsible for:
- Community mobilization and empowerment, conducting multi-stakeholder engagement and negotiations
- Ensuring timely and high-quality narrative activity reporting
- Participating in planning and implementation of peacebuilding and DRR project activities, development and management of activity budgets
- Promoting increased participation, representation, and leadership of women and girls, youth, and marginalized groups, including indigenous groups, in peacebuilding processes at all levels.
- Ensuring smooth coordination with stakeholders at cross border, sub-county, division, location, and sub-location/village for the implementation of peacebuilding and DRR activities
- Identifying current and emerging risk factors, their underlying causes, and actions that could help reduce the impacts of future hazards.
- Ensuring DRR and climate action elements are part of the project implementation.
- Identifying and managing opportunities for effective implementation of the project.
- Working closely with other program teams for effective project Monitoring, Reporting, and Evaluation
- Collecting and documenting project stories for sharing and learning
- Contributing to resource mobilization including the development of proposals
- Any other duty that may be assigned by the supervisor.
- Comprehensive experience in implementing peacebuilding programs, including. Conflict analysis, the integration of conflict-sensitive and ‘do not harm’ strategies, and in delivering holistic peace-building interventions.,
- Experience in research and implementation of disaster risk reduction programs.
- Experience with participatory, community-led programming approaches, including strategies for supporting the participation of women, girls, and potentially marginalized / at-risk groups.
- Experience in implementing cross-border projects and a good understanding of the conflict context within the Karamoja Cluster
- Experience in research, proposal, and report writing to major donors.
- Experience and certification in Monitoring & Evaluation would be an added advantage.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Peace building, Disaster Management, Community Development or a related field
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience and understanding of Conflict Dynamics/DRR in Karamoja Cluster.
- Ability to build effective working relationships, inspiring confidence and credibility with communities, partners, and stakeholders at all levels.
- Demonstrable networking capability, interpersonal skills, and strong ability to promote teamwork.
- High degree of integrity, discretion, and personal conduct
- Able to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Excellent analytical thinking skills
- Professional facilitation and presentation skills
How to Apply:
If you believe you have the above skills and experience and desire to join APaD for any of the above positions, please send an application and attach a detailed CV and copies of testimonials addressed to the Human Resource & Admin Officer P.O Box 342-30500 or ;
via the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications could also be delivered to the organization’s offices during working hours
The deadline for applications is at COB 26th January 2024
Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
APaD is an equal-opportunity employer.